Garden Educator Catalyst
Internship Position Title
Garden Educator Catalyst
Dig In! Yancey Community Garden
744 Blankenship Creek Rd, Burnsville, NC 28714
Internships are 10 weeks full-time
The Garden Educator Catalyst will work to spark and deepen Dig In!’s experiential learning programming in its diversified vegetable garden. Responsibilities include working with the Dig In! Farm & Education Manager to become skilled in organic vegetable and flower production and share what is known and learned by helping create educational experiences for volunteers, visitors and program participants.
Garden Education – 50%
- Work to create educational and learning opportunities in the garden for volunteers and visitors. Specific tasks include helping to create and administer environmental education curriculum for a youth leadership workshop in the garden, seasonal volunteer groups, and volunteer work days. Time will be spent generating site specific learning aids in the garden and conducting community outreach to increase Dig In!’s educational reach to low wealth and socially marginalized individuals in Yancey County.
Organic Food Production – 30%
- Assist in all aspects of growing a garden using organic, sustainable growing methods with community members and Dig In! staff. Tasks include planting, cultivating, addressing pests and diseases, harvesting, and other activities necessary for growing food for Dig In! partners and programs.
Community Food Organizing - 20%
- Dig In! operates using a community organizing model that emphasizes inclusion and participation of community members in all of the services and activities we perform. Time will be spent in hosting community gatherings, preparing outreach materials, meeting with and supporting community members in programming, and collecting feedback and data that informs future educational work.
Required knowledge, skills and experience:
- Familiarity with gardening and farming practices specific to vegetables
- Experience leading individuals and groups in educational activities outdoors
- The capacity to perform physical labor for 5-8/day in inclimate weather
- Demonstrated interpersonal skills practiced in community service
- Proficiency is google docs
- High level of self-motivation and responsibility
Preferred knowledge, skills and experience:
- Skills and/or education in ecology, agriculture, agroecology, food systems, or related fields
- Previous experience working for an outdoors-based nonprofit
- Environmental Educator certificate
- Spanish language proficiency
- Experience in public speaking
Unique considerations that this position demands:
- The use of a personal vehicle to arrive at the Dig In! garden
- High level of physical stamina for outdoor, garden labor
- Ability to live in a rural area that is predominantly white
Please submit a cover letter, 1 letter of recommendation, and 2 references that can be contacted who can speak to your skills and interests.
If you have questions or require more information about this position, contact Kathleen Wood at (828) 536-0414 and firstname.lastname@example.org. Learn more about Dig In! at diginyancey.org.